So here are 5 random things that I either discovered or really enjoyed this past month. I urge the rest of you to check them out.
1) Castle:Not just another cop show, it’s about a crime writer (Richard Castle) helping the NYPD solve crime. The writing is amazing, just when you think they’re going to fall back on cliches they surprise you. There’s sexual tension between Nathan Fillion’s Castle and Stana Katic’s Kate Beckett, but the show isn’t constantly hitting us over the head with it. At this point the writers are showing us a truly beautiful friendship developing between them. The writers also allow the police (Beckett’s team, Esposito and Ryan) to be intelligent and observant, they’re good at their jobs–Castle doesn’t need to solve the crime for them.
2) Whip It! : It’s a coming of age story about a girl, Bliss Cavendar, from a small town in Texas. Her mother wants her to be a pageant queen, constantly reminding her that youth and beauty are fleeting. Bliss wants out of the town, and away from a destiny as Susie Homemaker. She ends up joining a roller derby team in Austin; she makes some cool, older (sometimes wiser) new friends, and really finds something to fall in love with.
3) Cheryl Cole’s Boys: Now let me tell you this is one difficult track to get a hold of if you’re stateside. It’s penned by Adele, and is the B-side on Cheryl Cole’s single 3 Words. It’s a catchy and relatable song about girls falling for guys’ bullshit and ultimately getting a broken heart.
4) The Jersey Shore: One of the more controversial shows to hit the air in a long time. An old school “Real World” type reality show, where 8(and then 7) guidos and guidettes must live, and work together on camera. I initially avoided the show, not wanting to get sucked into trash television. I ended up catching the third episode (the one with the infamous punch) one night and fell in love with the cast. They’re probably the most “real” reality show cast we’ve had in years. They’re a group of funny, observant twenty-somethings who are learning the same lessons we all are. My only hope is that fame won’t go to their heads, and when we see them in the 2nd season they’ll be just as lovable and interesting as before.
5) Jwoww: I know she’s not one of the three JS cast members we see on late night TV, but she’s my fave. This is one ride or die chick. In a world where girls have no problem selling each other out, and not backing one another up, it was refreshing to see a young woman be there for her friend. She was one of the first people to come to Snooki’s defense after some asshole took a swing at her. Jwoww constantly made sure her friends were OK. If someone had a problem with her girl, you can bet your ass she was there to help out. She seemed to genuinely care about her amigos.